Saturday, October 1, 2016

Sazerac Shift Dress SEW ALONG Fabric Choice

Sazerac Shift Dress PDF sewing pattern 
Sew Along Fabric Choice

I am so excited for you all to join me this week as we sew ourselves a Sazerac Shift Dress! Sometimes it is too hard to set aside an entire afternoon to make a project and if we all wait for the perfect time to start sewing, we might not ever start! With this sew along I will post a few steps for you to do each day (that takes about 10-20 minutes) and by Friday you will have a NEW DRESS for yourself and able to wear it out! 
Need the pattern? GRAB IT HERE for $3.00 with coupon: SEWALONG at checkout! 
(Offer valid 10/1/16-10/7/16)

The Sazerac Shift Dress sewing pattern will help you make your own shift dress with three sleeve length options (short sleeve, three quarter length or long sleeve) and a scoop or v-neck front with a relaxed fit. You can even add an optional elastic waist to give it a modern and gathered look!

Let's choose your fabric!
Fabric choice is such an important first step to making a piece of clothing. Think of items that you have in your closet - what fabrics do you wear the most? I tend to wear fabrics that do not wrinkle because let's be honest, I don't love to iron my clothes! So if I can wash it, dry it and wear it, it is a great addition to my wardrobe. 

When you are in the fabric store check the fabric content, the feel of the fabric, its drape and even the fabric weight. Be sure to note if it needs to be washed or dry cleaned. Lately I have been taking a picture of the fabric description on the side of the bolt. It especially comes in handy when you need to know the width of the fabric, the content and the cleaning instructions! I love feeling all the fabric in the fabric store! When you find one for your dress, make sure it drapes nicely! I hang it over my arm and check to see the weight of the fabric, how the folds lie when it falls, how it flows (or is it too heavy), does it not have enough structure to make the garment...etc. If it is too stiff of a fabric I put it right back and keep looking. Hold it up to the light. Can you see through it? If you love it but can see through it, make sure you have something to wear under it.

Suggested Fabric Types: lightweight fabrics such as cotton, cotton blends, poly, voile, rayon, linen, silk, crepe de chine, double georgette or even a lightweight matte jersey, cotton/lycra, lightweight knit or sweater knit or similar

Here are some photos showing the dress in different fabrics!

Here is the Sazerac Shift Dress on Teri (below) - she used a floral rayon challis fabric

Below is the dress on Nicole. She used a rayon.


Lisa K. used a cotton/jersey knit fabric. 
Kim Coffin of Sweet Red Poppy used a poly

Amy S. used a medium weight interlock knit. 

For my original Sazerac Shift Dress I made I chose this printed poly blend:
But for the sew along I found these two great prints the other day at JoAnn's and did not want to pass them up! I really love the geometric print (100% poly) on the left but also wanted one in this multi-colored  print with black background (100% rayon). I am going to use the red one (the 100% poly fabric) for the sew along and I cannot wait to get started!! 

COMMENT BELOW and let me know which fabric you are going to use!


Grab your fabric, wash it, dry it and get ready for Monday!!

Here's the plan:

Monday - cut out fabric pieces
Tuesday - sew dress at side seams and shoulders
Wednesday - sew sleeve seams and inset sleeves
Thursday - hem sleeves, neckline and dress hem
Friday - finish, wear it and share it!! 

Hope you join us!!
Come join us in our facebook sewing group and share your photos! We cannot wait to see!!

No comments: