Monday, October 13, 2014

TUTORIAL: How to sew an infinity scarf

10 minute DIY Infinity Scarf

We have been designing up a storm here at Seamingly Smitten! We just released The Women's Esplanade Coat Sewing pattern and our Slouch Bag sewing pattern just in time for FALL! 



  Slouch Bag sewing pattern - CLICK HERE


Since the cooler weather is on its way I have started thinking about some FALL sewing! Do you ever look in your closet and just wish you had a few more things in there to spruce up your wardrobe? Today, I thought I needed (NEEDED...right?) :) an infinity scarf! (Scarf modeled by my friend Rebecca K. of Little Lady Monograms)


I found an aztec print knit at Hobby Lobby the other day and bought 1 yard. It's more than enough to make an infinity scarf!! You can make yours in under 10 minutes! CONTINUE reading to find out how!


**If you like a longer infinity scary,  purchase 2 yards of fabric and cut your scarf fabric to 72 inches long x 22 inches wide in step #2. All other directions are the same!

1. Gather materials: 5/8 yards of knit fabric (mine is 60 inches wide), straight edge, scissors, pins, sewing machine, thread to match, 1 ballpoint needle (for sewing with knits)




2. Lay out your fabric right side up so it is 22 inches long x 60 inches wide.


3. Fold your strip in half and make the long edges meet with right sides together. Now it is 11 inches long x 60 inches wide. Pin across the long edge.



4. Insert your ballpoint needle. Switch to a slant stitch (looks like a lightning bolt) or a zig-zag stitch and sew along your pinned edge using a 3/8 inch seam allowance. Trim threads **If you use a regular straight stitch when sewing with knits and your fabric stretches, the threads will pop. If you use a slant stitch or zig-zag stitch it allows more movement in your fabric.

5. Turn fabric right side out and use your iron to press flat. (I like to place the seam in the center.)


6. Turn in 1/2 an inch hem around one open edge.



7. Insert the raw edge opening into it. Pin all the way around.


8. Sew around your entire pinned edge using a 1/8 inch seam allowance to secure the edges closed. Trim threads and PUT IT ON!!


Since I always give my friends what they model, I decided that I loved this printed scarf so much that I made myself one, too! Now we each have something new for fall!


3 comments:

grammy said...

You are both beautiful models - off to check my stash - I'm sure I have something suitable - Thanks for the tutorial!

grammy said...

OK, I have inserted the raw edge opening into the 1/2 inch hem opening - how in the world so you stitch that on the sewing machine? What am I missing? Thanks - jan.murry@gmail.com

Danielle said...

I've looked at 15+ infinity scarf tutorials and this one absolutely makes the most sense of them all--thank you!! Will be making them for Christmas gifts :)