Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ruffled Shoulder Shirt

Ruffled Shoulder Shirt
Ruffles have been everywhere on shirts - down the middle, swirled into spirals, around the neckline - and I wanted them somewhere else. I took a chocolate brown matte jersey material and made this shirt. I used a tank top I had to trace a pattern and then traced sleeves from an existing shirt. Once my shirt was sewn together I created ruffles then pinned and sewed them to each shoulder. This is the result. I am wearing it as I type! :) I think it's my newest favorite AND I even used my dressform (I named her Geanette) to get the fit just right and I think it worked for the first time!
I also used something called a "stretch stitch" on my sewing machine. It looks like a slanted zig-zag stitch. I had read that stretchy materials like the one I used get bunched up if you use a straight stitch and I had experienced that when I made a dress not too long ago. The stretch stitch worked wonders! I didn't have any broken threads or bunched material. And in other "firsts" I used the Picasa photo editing website to edit, crop and get rid of the red-eye. They aren't perfect pictures but I think they're better than normal. :)

18 comments:

Anngela said...

Love it!! It's ADORABLE!! <3

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous love it!

Rebecca said...

This is so flattering on you, as always, and I like it with dark jeans~~ You are very talented :)
ps: I'm going to look into the Picasa website...my pics always have red eyes and your pics look great!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

the ruffles are great!! thanks for sharing how you did it!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

how fun! I love stretch stitches too! Makes life wonderful doesn't it?

Mariel@ www.sexymodeststyle.com said...

I am addicted to ruffles now. I have been making a few things about them.. I should move on.... But ruffles are so dang cute!

thanks for stopping by

www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

LakshmiRP said...

Nice idea. I would use it in future dress i plan to sew for my DD

I am your new follower. I would glad if you would visit my blog www.adithisammasews.com and be elated if you decide to follow. My blog is about sewing, fashion design, pattern making with emphasis on Indian Outfits

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

It looks great! Isn't it a good feeling to finish and have it fit so well?

Kelli said...

Ooh, very cute! I hadn't thought of ruffles on sleeves, but as soon as I saw yours, it made perfect sense. Like, why didn't I think of that? Great job!

Liz said...

You look amazing in it! Great job!

emilyc @ Sew Super Sweet said...

So, so pretty!

Sachiko said...

Such a pretty shirt! Great job!

ShannonSews said...

Really cute ruffle shirt!! Thanks for the tip about the stretch stitch. I'll have to try it out!

Beth said...

Very cool shirt!

Misty Makes said...

This is beautiful. I'm a newbie to sewing (just got my machine 1wk ago) and this shirt is very inspiring. love it.

Camilla said...

Love this! It's gorgeous! I'm totally going to make this, thanks so much for the idea! Following you now!
http://rosyredbuttons.blogspot.com

L.A. said...

Love Love Love! I have NO confidence sewing, but I might have to suck it up and make this cuz I would wear this tee 24/7! So inspired. Thanks!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I love it! Super cute. Wish my sewing skills were a little better and then I'd give it a shot!

www.mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com